Creamy. Cheesy. Comforting.
This delicious potato-leek gratin is everything you want for an easy weekday dinner, or even an indulgent holiday brunch (with minimal effort!). Can a gratin recipe really be easy? Absolutely.
With Cosmic Cookware, cooking at home doesn’t have to be a chore. We aim to make every moment in the kitchen simple yet delightful, starting with this tasty gratin that is easy to master.
Chef Zam, founder of Rich Talents International College and co-founder of Food Aid Foundation, has made this rustic potato-leek gratin light yet creamy and flavourful. The rich aroma of cheeses wafting through your kitchen will tempt anyone, any day of the week.
It’s so satisfying you won’t believe it’s meat-free!
Chef Zam’s Potato-Leek Gratin
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1kg whole leeks - rinsed well & cut into ¼-inch rings
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme - minced
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 250ml heavy cream
- 180g Gruyère cheese - grated
- 90g Parmesan cheese - grated
- 1.5 kg potatoes - peeled & cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives - minced
In a large fry pan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter.
Add the leeks and 1 tablespoon of salt, stirring to coat the leeks with the butter. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are tender, about 20 minutes.
Add in thyme, nutmeg, ¾ tablespoon pepper and heavy cream then simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until thickened for about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
Preheat the oven to 200ºC. While it heats, grease a 9-inch baking dish with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
In a bowl, combine the Gruyère and Parmesan cheeses.
Layer one-third of the potatoes in the baking dish and spread one-third of the leek mixture on top. Sprinkle with one-third of the cheeses, then 1 tablespoon of chives. Repeat the layering 2 more times. Top with several grindings of black pepper.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil, transfer to the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until the potatoes are tender and the crust turns golden brown, about 30 minutes more. Let the gratin stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Looking for that perfect non-stick frying pan to make this potato-leek gratin a triumph?
Our Swiss-certified Cosmo Fry is the must-have fry pan!
What is the Cosmo Fry?
Cosmo Fry is Cosmic Cookware’s non-stick frying pan designed to withstand high-temperature cooking - for perfect frying, stir-frying and browning with less oil.
It looks good, cooks good on any stovetop, and even bakes in the oven up to 230ºC.
This skillet pan is the perfect kitchen companion to spark your passion for cooking happy, healthy meals at home every day. Meatless Mondays have never been easier, nor looked better.
Start cooking, good looking!